[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2505) Game end messages not translated

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2505) Game end messages not translated
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 22:07:47 -0800

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 16:06, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx via RT wrote:

> 1.14 BETA CVS 06 DEC 2002
>
> Some game end messages to appear in the client are not properly
> i18n'd. But we are lucky, these messages reappear exactly in gamelog,
> where they _are_ i18n'd. So they are already localized in *.po, except
> of one, which isn't used in normal play.

Problem is, this will translate into the locale of the server, not that
of the client.

In most cases this is what you want: the player is playing a local game,
and translating messages at the server will be a very good thing.

In some cases, it won't do so well.  For instance a game played on
civserver will still be localized in English.  Of course, this is what
happens now anyway.

In a very few cases, I suspect things will go bad.  This, too, is
probably already possible.  Here the text will be translated into an
incompatible charset, which because of bugs in the client could cause a
crash.

If you think these texts should be translated (which I don't disagree
with), you'll probably find there are a lot more texts out there that
need _().

jason