[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2505) Game end messages not translated

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2505) Game end messages not translated
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 07:15:51 -0800

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 10:07:47PM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 16:06, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx via RT wrote:
> >
> > 1.14 BETA CVS 06 DEC 2002
> >
> > Some game end messages to appear in the client are not properly
> > i18n'd. But we are lucky, these messages reappear exactly in gamelog,
> > where they _are_ i18n'd. So they are already localized in *.po, except
> > of one, which isn't used in normal play.
>
> Problem is, this will translate into the locale of the server, not that
> of the client.
>
> In most cases this is what you want: the player is playing a local game,
> and translating messages at the server will be a very good thing.
>
> In some cases, it won't do so well.  For instance a game played on
> civserver will still be localized in English.  Of course, this is what
> happens now anyway.
>
> In a very few cases, I suspect things will go bad.  This, too, is
> probably already possible.  Here the text will be translated into an
> incompatible charset, which because of bugs in the client could cause a
> crash.
>
> If you think these texts should be translated (which I don't disagree
> with), you'll probably find there are a lot more texts out there that
> need _().

Hey, what are you talking about? Sorry, but I don't understand.
I've never heard of a crash due to translation / i18n. Of course
we all want to have client side translation (I hope). What is wrong
with a

     notify_conn(&game.est_connections,
         _("Game ended in victory for %s"), victor->name);

What is so special with this part, that you don't want to translate it?
Please explain, I'm learning.

At least these are the last texts that are not translated AFAICS.
And they require nearly no effort to fix.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/