[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2464) patch: restrict techs by nation

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2464) patch: restrict techs by nation
From: "Per I. Mathisen via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:35:09 -0800

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Raimar Falke via RT wrote:
> My proposal:
>  - add a tech flag Root
>  - a tech with this flag is called root(-tech)
>  - don't discard roots is they don't have any real requirements
>  - a root of a tech T is the tech which is a root and directly or
>  indirectly T depends on
>  - all (except A_NONE) have exactly one root (checked at ruleparsing)
> - if no root techs are given in the tech ruleset A_NONE is given the Root flag
>  - all players have at the start of the game exactly one root tech
>  (A_NONE or initial tech). This is called the root of the player.
>  - a player can only get a tech by any way (huts, advance, diplomat,
>  diplomacy, ...) if the root of the tech is the same as the root of
>  the player.
>
> The strict_tech is now always TRUE. But don't matter if all player
> have the same root tech (A_NONE).
>
> Now only someone has to code this.

I don't see any advantages of this over my code. To the contrary, it looks
much more complicated, both in terms of code and ruleset author
understanding. The readability of such a tech.ruleset will be very hard.

Also you lose the possibility of merging two disjointed trees at a higher
stage or have some shared techs in two mostly disjointed tech trees.

Can you please explain why yours is a better solution?

  - Per