[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2464) patch: restrict techs by nation

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2464) patch: restrict techs by nation
From: "Per I. Mathisen via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 11:06:41 -0800

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Raimar Falke via RT wrote:
> > A general comment only: whether or not a nation can use a tech
> > to me seems a property of the nation, not the tech.
>
> I agree. We already have per nation init_techs.

> However assembling a
> long of "allowed_techs" per nation may be not want people want.

Exactly. Keep techs to the tech ruleset file. Easier to see what you are
doing and what you've forgotten.

> I general I think that all this is solvable by disjoint tech trees via
> init_techs. That the current code removes these "loose" tech trees is
> a bug.

Are you sure?

Looks like a design decision to me. I am not at all sure what will happen
if you allow such unreachable techs to be "existent" in the tech tree.

> And maybe a strict_tech option is also needed which forbids the
> transfer of such techs from player to player.

Not "maybe". You _must_ have such an option if you want to keep the trees
disjointed, which is a must for most modpacks.

But note how my patch is much more flexible: You can have forked tech
trees with a common base, where you can conquer/steal/give common techs
while special techs remain unavailable. No need for really anal options
like strict_tech.

  - Per