[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3 graphics system

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3 graphics system
From: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:48:47 -0500

* Jason Dorje Short (vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Question: how do forests and jungle work in civ3?  I see all sorts of
> sprites for grassland-forests, plains-forests, mountain-forests,
> tundra-forests, etc.  But the sprites themselves I do not understand
> (for instance grassland-forests).
>
> Am I correct in believing "forest" and "jungle" are no longer a real
> terrain type, but more of a special?

Well, not really. Forest and jungle are a real terrain type, but it is
important to know what is underneath since they can be chopped down
(returning some shields in the case of forest, and making a better
terrain in the case of jungle) and forest can be replanted. So even
though forrest on tundra is the same as forest on plains, it becomes
different when chopped down.

> Other questions:
>
> - Can anyone confirm that there is no arctic terrain in civ3?  (Note
> arctic is different from tundra.)

I don't remember arctic ... but I would need to launch civ3 to check.

> - Can anyone confirm that, in fact, the map generator does ensure no
> more than 3 different terrain types can border each other at a corner?
>
> - Assume the above is true, is it then impossible to transform terrain
> so as to violate the terrain restriction?

No idea.

Alan

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.