Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: measure the reaction time for diplomat actions

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: measure the reaction time for diplomat actions
From: Billy Naylor <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:32:12 +1300

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > > maybe this problem would be solved if the diplomat
> > > was hidden once they had "entered" an enemy city.
> >
> > IMHO this is a __good__ idea.
>
> How would this be represented in the client? What would be the
> benefits/disadvantages of having a diplomat "stored" inside an enemy city?
> Would it be lost at end of turn? Can you "store" multiple diplomats this
> way? What would happen if you entered into an alliance with this player
> before "using" the "stored" diplomat? Or if you conquered the city first?
> Or it is disbanded? Can the other player know that you have a diplomat
> hidden inside the city? Or have any way of flushing it out?

The diplomat is not stored, just hidden from view (and from zone of control
effects?) whilst a diplomatic dialog is being presented to the player.

Once the diplomatic action is done ( and assuming the diplomat hasn't
been sent home or killed) then the diplomat reappears ( this could cause
problems if an enemy unit now occupies it's square).

> I'm not opposed to it - it may be a good idea - but this is no small
> change with lots of unanswered questions.
>
>   - Per

Storing a diplomat in a city (which i am not suggesting) would be a big
change with many playability issues to be resolved, but would prepare the
way for interesting units like Slavers, Lawyers, Priests, Mobsters... which
could add another non-military dimension.

Personally i'd like to see more Colonization (the game) mechanics (at
least as a ruleset option - as it would slow down a Conquer The World
game too much).

-banjo