Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Savegame Location was: Re: connect dialog ver 3 (PR#1911)

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Savegame Location was: Re: connect dialog ver 3 (PR#1911)
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:07:54 +0200

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 10:53:57AM -0500, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 03:32:52PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> >
> > Note how your solution does not solve the case of saving and loading games
> > on public servers such as civserver.
>
> no, but the problem of the public servers is _not_ the problem. The real
> problem is running a server from a client on your own box. You simply do
> not want to give hack level access to anyone who did not actually have
> permission to start the server. Playing games about where certain
> connections can save savegames to is not a good solution. If I am the
> client starting a server, then I damn well want the ability to save games
> anywhere I please (within my own machines' permissions)...

Reading this, another idea comes to mind. Now, where civserver has the
ability to load savegames, you might want to read a savegame into the
client, send it to a server, "load" it into that server, and play ...

Of course the server could encrypt it, before sending it to the client,
and vice versa, so that no one (except the server itself) can read it.

<dream mode off>

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/