Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: connect dialog ver 3 (PR#1911)

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: connect dialog ver 3 (PR#1911)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:29:09 +0200

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 10:53:57AM -0500, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> no, but the problem of the public servers is _not_ the problem. The real
> problem is running a server from a client on your own box. You simply do
> not want to give hack level access to anyone who did not actually have
> permission to start the server. Playing games about where certain
> connections can save savegames to is not a good solution. If I am the
> client starting a server, then I damn well want the ability to save games
> anywhere I please (within my own machines' permissions)...

At least on Unix, I think file permissions should be the judge of that.

One idea is to make the server send a secret string and challenge the
client to write it to a file the server points out.  The client responds
whether it thinks it managed to do it; if it did, and the server does find
the secret in the file, it accepts the client as "native".

--
Reinier