Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] PNG2FreeSAV: A little script for easier map making

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] PNG2FreeSAV: A little script for easier map making
From: Bart Coppens <martinusaso.asse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:22:38 +0200

Hello all,

I made a little PHP-script to make the life of a map/scenario maker a bit
easier. Its name says what it does: it converts a PNG image to a Freeciv
savegame.

The only thing you have to do is make an image with your favourite editor,
 and let the script do the rest. This thing is still alpha, and only does the
 most basic thing: it knows only different land-types. So don't try to add
 rivers, starting-points, etc., because I haven't implemented them (yet).
A lot of editing remains, but it will save much time of the creation. For
example the Iceland map (I have included an Iceland map as an example). I
just searched for a nice map on the internet. After some 20 minutes of
editing with the Gimp (basically a lot of 'select by color'), I got this fine
map. The map isn't really useful for playing, but shows how fast a 'raw' map
can be made with this little thing.

The only thing you'll need is PHP (I used it with Apache) and the GD library
(no perl, I'm still learning that). Just edit the few settings in the
options.php file to reflect the desired map and run the script.

Some explanations,usage details and colour codes are given as comment in the
convert.php file, so I suggest reading it.

A little note, however. I didn't find out what the land type 'j' in a
 savegame means, so I think I may have used something wrong. If you find it,
 feel free to correct it :)

Bart Coppens