Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: connect dialog ver 3 (PR#1911)

Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: connect dialog ver 3 (PR#1911)
From: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:51:07 -0500

Mike Kaufman wrote:

no, but the problem of the public servers is _not_ the problem. The real
problem is running a server from a client on your own box. You simply do
not want to give hack level access to anyone who did not actually have
permission to start the server. Playing games about where certain
connections can save savegames to is not a good solution. If I am the
client starting a server, then I damn well want the ability to save games
anywhere I please (within my own machines' permissions)...

The server should not be able to save a game. Only the client should be able to. This is fundamentally more secure than relying on authentication or file permissions to prevent security holes. And it is far more elegant.

When the server tries to save a game, it generates the save data, then sends it to the client that requested the save. The client can then save the file themselves. Slow, but effective.

The same system can be used for loading games via the 'load' command.

jason