Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Savegame Location was: Re: connect dialog ver 3 (PR#19

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Savegame Location was: Re: connect dialog ver 3 (PR#1911)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:24:14 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:
> Reading this, another idea comes to mind. Now, where civserver has the
> ability to load savegames, you might want to read a savegame into the
> client, send it to a server, "load" it into that server, and play ...
>
> Of course the server could encrypt it, before sending it to the client,
> and vice versa, so that no one (except the server itself) can read it.
>
> <dream mode off>

Well...

<dream mode on>

... eventually I want journaled savegames, so that you do not need to
create multiple savegames per game. You can simply load it, specify which
year you want to (re)play, and there you go. If you want watch the entire
game being played so that you can see what you did wrong, you can watch it
as if it was played by AIs that move exactly like the players did. If you
create a WWII scenario, you can create a "historically authentic" game of
it, so that you can jump in at any time during the history of WWII and
take over from there. This is only possible from the server...

<dream mode off>

... but more important reasons against this is, as Raimar said, speed and
cheating. I am in principle against using encryption for savegames since
these are pieces of "free software" data files for general use, each
containing a potentially interesting scenario which you may want to play
it locally later, send in for debugging, etc, and encryption will take
away that freedom from you.

  - Per