Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Creating dead player after the game has started.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Creating dead player after the game has started.
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:17:29 +0200

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 05:37:21AM -0700, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 04:18:55PM +0200, Thomas Strub wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 06:17:41AM -0700, Raimar Falke wrote:

[about the "create a dead player" patch]

> > Think that should be done post-release. So why shouldn't we use the
> > kludge until the good solution is ready? (Ok there is no translation ...)
>
> I don't see a problem if Reinier uses your patch on
> civserver.freeciv.org servers.
>
>       Raimar

It is undesirable to have differences between the default setup
for civserver out of the box and and the default setup on the largest forum
for public games and the default setup, but such differences have existed
for a long time.

Another problem is having to implement the differences for every Freeciv
variant that runs on civserver.freeciv.org - they should at least be
consistent with each other.  During the past few months I made a mess of
this: often patches were applied to one version, but not to the next.
However, I spent some effort to automate the process, and the installation
procedure is much easier now: more standardization and fewer manual steps.
The service will improve as a result.

The main problem that remains is the user interface.  It should be easier for
civserver.freeciv.org users to find out what the differences in configuration
and applied patches are - there should be a better web interface.  In this case,
a webpage should explain to the user that the "create a dead player"
patch has been applied, and what it does.

--
Reinier