Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Creating dead player after the game has started.

To: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Creating dead player after the game has started.
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 17:40:22 -0500

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 11:36:43PM +0200, Thomas Strub wrote:
> Hello,
>
> some people want to observe games. Until now they join a game, choose a
> nation and disband there units to see the hole game. With gen 2 there is
> an empty island and with other generators there are free starting
> positions. I don't like the empty islands, but i think that people
> should have the possibility to look at games.
>
> With my patch its possible to create dead players after the game has
> started.

this is really a kludge. The right way to do this is allow connections to
the server that aren't players. My old client-auth patch does this and
allows connections to attach to players either as a controller or an observer
(so you can have multiple controllers as well).

The auth part of the patch really isn't ready for the big time, but perhaps
the other parts (which allow for observers etc) could be pulled out as a
separate patch.

-mike