Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Problem Compiling Client Under OpenVMS With DEC C.

To: Robert Alan Byer <byer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Problem Compiling Client Under OpenVMS With DEC C.
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08 Oct 2002 18:51:06 +0200

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 18:31, Robert Alan Byer wrote:

> I pulled down the latest CVS snapshot so I could make sure that everything
> was still working for the OpenVMS side.

What is the latest freeciv package that you have compiled without
problems?

1.13.0?
1.12.0?
another snapshot of 1.13.1-devel?

(This for understanding when the breakage may have happened)

> The civserver compiled, but the client had a problem.
>
> While trying to compile "./freeciv/client/attribute.c" I got the following
> error..
>
>      fc__attribute((format (printf, 3, 4)));
> .....^
> %CC-E-NOSEMI, Missing ";".
> at line number 128 in file DISK$WORK:[TEST.FREECIV.COMMON]SHARED.H;1
>
>                   fc__attribute((format (printf, 2, 3)));
> ..................^
> %CC-E-NOSEMI, Missing ";".
> at line number 62 in file DISK$WORK:[TEST.FREECIV.COMMON]LOG.H;1

Can you test if changing the position at top of of
#include "attribute.h"
into attribute.c make any good?

Anyway, IMHO it happens that for some reason unknown to me, the macro
preprocessor fail to eliminate fc__attribute(...) part, or, worst, does
eliminate the ; that is there to closing the line.

It is possible that a spurious \n are giving problem to you?

If nothing else works, try to eliminate those fc__attribute call and see
what happens.

(btw, I really can't imagine why it has problem with civclient and not
with civserver, there are in fact uses of fc__attribute also in server/
code).