Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc on allowconnect

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <martijn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc on allowconnect
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:01:01 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > What is the perfect setup? We rename
> >
> > FROM                        TO      WHY
> > player              ->      nation  remove player/nation duality
> > connection  ->      player  intuitive name for (authenticated) user
>
> I would leave the connection. It is a low level thing. But I would add
> a "user". A user has:
>  - exactly one connection (at runtime)
>  - belongs to one nation (at runtime)
>  - has some stats for ranking
>  - has a password

So a "user" is a "player" that also has authenticated and belongs to a
nation?

> Just to make sure that I understood this correctly:
>
> > coop control        ->      team    term used in starcraft
>
> A team is a nonempty set of users which control a nation.

Yes. (Or rather, set of "players", if you agree with distinction above.)

> > team                ->      clan    term used everywhere
>
> A clan is a nonempty set of nations which form a entity. They have
> default diplomatic clauses of type CLAUSE_PEACE or CLAUSE_ALLIANCE.

In my present clan patch (called the "teams patch" for maximum confusion),
clans start out with CLAUSE_ALLIANCE, shared vision and embassies to each
other. The latter might be overkill, though.

> > We need to simplify a bit to have this sum up, so I suggest we remove
> > cmdlevel from the equation: The first player to join will get ctrl command
> > and nobody else. If that player quits while in pregame, the server
> > restarts (the starcraft way). Instead of requiring everyone to be ctrl, we
> > allow everyone to set options that concern only themselves (like setting
> > yourself to ai or not, and setting a password on your connection).
>
> This seems like a non-small restriction. Why do we need this?

I couldn't find a way to combine the present cmdlevel system with the
system I described without making it incredibly complicated and open for
lots of abuse or silly pregame infighting over how things should be setup.

It is much cleaner with one superuser. If he is an ass, players go
elsewhere and they don't play with him again. If he is not, then any
number of other stupid users can't screw up the game (eg by
joining&"/start" or putting everyone but one in his own clan and "/start"
etc). Less chance of fuckup that way.

Yours
Per