Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc on allowconnect

To: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc on allowconnect
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 20:37:38 +0200

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 01:52:53PM +0200, Per I Mathisen wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > So I suggest removing "allowconnect" entirely, and replace it with
> > >
> > >   /allowobserver on|off
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > >   /control [connection]
> > >
> > > where the first allows any number of observers to join you and the latter
> > > gives the indicated connection control (or gives you control over an AI).
> >
> > > When you have enough observers, just turn allowobserver off.
> >
> > allowobserver off should kick all observers.
>
> I am thinking the most common user scenario will be as follows: User A
> wants user B to watch his game (maybe it was his now dead ally, who wants
> to see how the game ends). User A does _not_ want any other users to
> watch, especially not allow his opponent to whip up a new client which he
> can connect as an observer to watch what A is doing. So he does
> "/allowobserver on", user B joins, and he does "/allowobserver off".
>
> Maybe there should be a "/kick <connection>" command, though, in case the
> wrong observer joins or the observer turns out to be a nuisance.
>
> But I don't think the option should be an "either anyone can be observer
> or nobody can" thing.

What about a pre-state? A user logs in (under any name) and can
chat. A current player allows this user to be a controller or
observer. You can't do this without this pre-state because the access
control should be done in terms of connections. But you can't grant a
non-existing connection the control of your nation.

Can you understand this?

> > > Only controlling connections or connections to a player with no
> > > controller can issue these commands.
> >
> > > Players set to AI should always be set to allowobserver on.
> >
> > Seems like an invention to cheat.
>
> Note that this is already the default. Though, in my proposed scheme,
> there is no way to stop anyone from joining in as an AI, which there is
> with allowconnect. Maybe extend allowobserver syntax to
>
>       /allowobserver on|off [AI player]
>
> > > Finally, in the code there are comments indicating that it was originally
> > > thought observers should be omniscient. I do not see the justification for
> > > this, it will only lead to rampant cheating. So I suggest this
> > > goal/comment is removed.
> >
> > What about a "global" observer? Who sees everything?
>
> That is a good idea. However, I don't see the necessary code for this in
> cvs, and I won't be contributing it. I only want to clean up the existing
> interface.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot."