Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc on allowconnect

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc on allowconnect
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:09:57 +0200

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 11:59:11PM -0400, Robin Dziama wrote:
> Please excuse a suggestion by a newbie to freeciv, but a long time developer.
>
> If the current client is transformed into a server-client pair with the
> local server behaving as a client with regard to the game server and
> allowing local clients that can accept observer connections as well as
> allow the player to have multiple views (a trident tileset on one desktop
> with a hires on another ) might be a simpler approach. I'm also thinking
> multi-threaded.

I don't see how this is simpler, but it would help programs like Civworld.

I think it is wrong to equate 'local' with 'privileged'.  'local' ->
'privileged' is a valid inference on a single user OS, the reverse is
never valid (why not display the trident view on a different host?).

On a multiuser OS, even if clients connect to the server over local
(Unix) sockets they may belong to a different user than the server.

It's true that the server program itself could automatically spawn a client
with full privileges, but this is not always desirable.  We don't want
to run clients on civserver.freeciv.org for example; the required libraries
aren't even installed.

--
Reinier