Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc on allowconnect

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc on allowconnect
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 13:52:53 +0200 (MEST)

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > So I suggest removing "allowconnect" entirely, and replace it with
> >
> >     /allowobserver on|off
> >
> > and
> >
> >     /control [connection]
> >
> > where the first allows any number of observers to join you and the latter
> > gives the indicated connection control (or gives you control over an AI).
>
> > When you have enough observers, just turn allowobserver off.
>
> allowobserver off should kick all observers.

I am thinking the most common user scenario will be as follows: User A
wants user B to watch his game (maybe it was his now dead ally, who wants
to see how the game ends). User A does _not_ want any other users to
watch, especially not allow his opponent to whip up a new client which he
can connect as an observer to watch what A is doing. So he does
"/allowobserver on", user B joins, and he does "/allowobserver off".

Maybe there should be a "/kick <connection>" command, though, in case the
wrong observer joins or the observer turns out to be a nuisance.

But I don't think the option should be an "either anyone can be observer
or nobody can" thing.

> > Only controlling connections or connections to a player with no
> > controller can issue these commands.
>
> > Players set to AI should always be set to allowobserver on.
>
> Seems like an invention to cheat.

Note that this is already the default. Though, in my proposed scheme,
there is no way to stop anyone from joining in as an AI, which there is
with allowconnect. Maybe extend allowobserver syntax to

        /allowobserver on|off [AI player]

> > Finally, in the code there are comments indicating that it was originally
> > thought observers should be omniscient. I do not see the justification for
> > this, it will only lead to rampant cheating. So I suggest this
> > goal/comment is removed.
>
> What about a "global" observer? Who sees everything?

That is a good idea. However, I don't see the necessary code for this in
cvs, and I won't be contributing it. I only want to clean up the existing
interface.

Yours
Per