[Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA crash when choosing new govt (PR#1546)

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA crash when choosing new govt (PR#1546)
From: Kenn Munro <kenn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 Jun 2002 23:57:07 -0400

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 13:32, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 05:22:48AM -0400, Kenn Munro wrote:
> > On Sun, 2002-06-09 at 03:52, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > Yes. But I don't know an easy way to do this. I also suspect that
> > > other changes (tax rates for example) may have such problems. Any
> > > input on how this can be done?
> > >
> > > Since this won't be fixed before release I suggest adding a "don't
> > > click too fast" into BUGS. Should the pointer patch also be included?
> > >
> > >   Raimar
> > >

> > For a quick fix, could the buttons on any existing "choose govt" dialog
> > box be disabled at the same time your pointer patch changes the cursor?
> >
> > As for the pointer patch itself, the cursor only changes when its over
> > the main window; over the "choose govt" box, it was still a normal
> > arrow, so it looked like it was "ok" to click.  And I prefer the
> > GDK_WATCH for a "busy, don't click" cursor.
> >
> > If its not fixed before release, then a mention in BUGS of timing issues
> > might be appropriate, and the cursor change is good to show that the
> > client is doing something.
>
> Can you please test the attached patch?
>
>       Raimar

The patch fixes the bug.. it is no longer possible to change government
while the client is still busy doing the start-of-turn stuff.

But, you were correct in assuming that "other changes (tax rates for
example) may have such problems".  In a large game, I tried changing the
tax rate while the client was between turns.  After changing it around
three times, the client quit with the error:

1: CMA: Nazca has changed multiple times. This may be an error in
freeciv or bad luck. Please contact <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>. The CMA
will detach itself from the city now.
civclient: cma_core.c:1790: handle_city: Assertion `0' failed.
Aborted

Probably not a *big* deal.. you can't end-turn when the tax dialog is
up, so the user would have to end-turn, then quickly Shift-T and change
the rate.

I also got the same error for another city while disbandings units from
a city dialog box while between turns.  I suspect there may be many more
ways to cause such problems.  As they won't all be found/fixed before
release, there should be a mention in BUGS of bad things happening
sometimes when doing stuff while the client is between turns.

And, what's the best way to fix them all?  Address them each as they are
found or not allow any user intervention until all turn stuff is
complete?

Kenn