[Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA crash when choosing new govt (PR#1546)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: CMA crash when choosing new govt (PR#1546)
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:30:21 -0700 (PDT)

On 26 Jun 2002, Kenn Munro wrote:
> The patch fixes the bug.. it is no longer possible to change government
> while the client is still busy doing the start-of-turn stuff.
>
> But, you were correct in assuming that "other changes (tax rates for
> example) may have such problems".
> Probably not a *big* deal.. you can't end-turn when the tax dialog is
> up, so the user would have to end-turn, then quickly Shift-T and change
> the rate.

But even if you can't end turn, the turn can still end while you have that
dialog up (due to timeout).

> I also got the same error for another city while disbandings units from
> a city dialog box while between turns.  I suspect there may be many more
> ways to cause such problems.  As they won't all be found/fixed before
> release, there should be a mention in BUGS of bad things happening
> sometimes when doing stuff while the client is between turns.
>
> And, what's the best way to fix them all?  Address them each as they are
> found or not allow any user intervention until all turn stuff is
> complete?

Why does this happen? I don't see any good reason why you shouldn't be
able to change government while agents are processed, as the agent event
is scheduled. Isn't there an underlying design flaw here?

Yours,
Per

76.4% of all statistics are made up