[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion

To: Kenn Munro <kenn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Peter Panov <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion
From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:31:41 -0700

scripsit Kenn Munro:

> A more realistic way of handling it would be to have random "oil" tiles
> on the ocean.  A certain technology would be required to even see them
> on the map, because they would be far under the ocean and a civilization
> would need to be able to drill down to find them.  When they have that
> tech, a city improvement could be built in order to gain a certain
> production bonus from any offshore oil tiles.  It could make it more
> realistic (not every ocean city has offshore oil reserves) and lessen
> the impact of offshore platforms.

I would like to see engineers be able to work at sea.  Then we could
have oil be a resource on sea tiles, which is worth nothing unless
mined.  Perhaps Undersea Construction is an advance which should allow
mining these tiles and building tunnels under the sea (so my rail routes
don't have to break for one tile of sea!).

All the undersea stuff was my favourite part in Civ:CTP, actually . . .

> But.. possibly too far a stretch from traditional Civ II rules.

Nah, no such thing ;)

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul