[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion

To: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Peter Panov <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion
From: Kenn Munro <kenn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 29 May 2002 17:23:35 -0400

This reminds me of one of my peeves.. that an offshore platform gives
one extra prod for each ocean square.  It can make a big difference in
the game once someone reaches that tech and can buy a few offshore
platforms.  I usually stop playing the AI at that point for lack of
challenge.

A more realistic way of handling it would be to have random "oil" tiles
on the ocean.  A certain technology would be required to even see them
on the map, because they would be far under the ocean and a civilization
would need to be able to drill down to find them.  When they have that
tech, a city improvement could be built in order to gain a certain
production bonus from any offshore oil tiles.  It could make it more
realistic (not every ocean city has offshore oil reserves) and lessen
the impact of offshore platforms.

But.. possibly too far a stretch from traditional Civ II rules.

Kenn