[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion

To: Peter Panov <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion
From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 13:36:29 -0700

scripsit Peter Panov:
> Idea/Suggestion:
> Restructuring of City structure.

> Instead of each terrain square having just food, prod, and trade, it
> would be like this;
> Each square has a food value and a resource such as coal, lumber,
> different ores, Oil.

The problem with such a setup is that the valuable resources change as
tech changes.  For example, petroleum was pretty useless five hundred
years ago, not to mention uranium.  OTOH, quarried stone for
construction isn't nearly as important as it once was, because concrete
and steel have replaced stone.

A good economic model should account for these changes, but unless it
does I wouldn't waste too much effort tracking individual resources --
it would just sit wrong to be worrying about molybdenum production
before I'd mastered Bronzeworking.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul