[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)

To: Richard Stallman <rms@xxxxxxx>
Cc: dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx, raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)
From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 18:52:29 -0700

scripsit Richard Stallman:
>     Hmm, maybe ironclads should require metalurgy, not invention.  Actually,
>     they should probably require conscription (whatever we rename that to).  I
>     think ironclads came in not too long after rifles.
>
> Russia used conscription in the 1700s.  Those armies presumably used
> muskets, not rifles.  Perhaps the "riflemen" unit should be related to
> the engineering that made rifles possible and not to "conscription".

Riflemen are made possible by the minée (sp?) ball.  That's the
hollow-based conical bullet that allowed rifled muskets to be loaded as
fast as smoothbores, giving roughly something like a 150% increase in
lethality.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul