[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 20:34:15 -0400

Richard Stallman (rms@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> Russia used conscription in the 1700s.  Those armies presumably used
> muskets, not rifles.  Perhaps the "riflemen" unit should be related to
> the engineering that made rifles possible and not to "conscription".

Yes, quite.  Conscripts should be cheaper to produce, and worse (lower
morale, lower attack/defense, or something).  In SMAC, it's easy enough --
you can lower the morale of a unit because there's a graduated scale
from very green to elite, not just "normal and veteran".

I can't think of an elegant way to model such a thing in Civ2/Freeciv
rules, though.  The only thing that comes to mind is "conscripted units
can never be veterans from the get-go, even if the city that builds
them has a Barracks".

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |