[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC][Patch] AI can fly v2 (fwd)

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC][Patch] AI can fly v2 (fwd)
From: <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:36:51 +0200 (MEST)

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> Oops, the patch was too big so my first email didn't go through...
> Please come and play with it.

What is ai/ttt.c? Looks like you have been moving a lot of code around...?

> General Impressions:
> * Does not make AI that much tougher: battleships and howitzers are far
> deadlier when it comes to eliminating city defenders

Well, yes, but battleships can't race around on land, and howitzer move at
snail's pace. I think the use of aircraft do make it slightly better. For
island defense, in particular.

> * Quite good at keeping Transports at bay.  Unfortunately, AI won't build
> anything until it sees a possible target, and then it might be too late.

We should consider a more pro-active building... how about giving it a
real want spike for as long as it has no aircraft on the continent?

> * So it introduces a bit of variety in the game without changing
> difficulty by much

I think it is great. Much fun.

Observations:
- The AI does not seem in any hurry to get the necessary techs for flight.
- The AI should not attack cities with aircraft without checking for
reinforcements first. Should also check for SAM (it's omniscient, use it;
we don't remember and analyze stuff).
- The AI should not attack if it stands a very high chance of losing (ie
mech inf on a mountain). Aircraft are expensive. Waste some commoners
instead.
- Got the assertion (which I couldn't reproduce)
civserver: gotohand.c:1679: refuel_iterate_process: Assertion `0' failed.
- I also noticed something very strange in the savegame. A transport is on
its way, which unloads on our own continent, then the unloaded units walk
across our own continent to reach a city on the other end... there are no
enemy cities on that continent!!
- Also in the same savegame, why doesn't solomon invade sooner? It cruises
around with dozens of transports with units in for dozens of turns before
it finally decides to land them. Drives me crazy. pille's cities are empty
and deserted!

Yours,
Per

Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason."
 -- Sir John Harrington (1561-1612)