[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Success at last with Sound #15

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Success at last with Sound #15
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:46:30 -0800 (PST)

--- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 07:58:20PM -0800, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > I've tried your new and improved aclocal.m4. That combined with Per's sound
> > patch has finally resulted in a working freeciv with sound for me.
> >

> > The sequence of events was
> >
> > tar zxvf freeciv-cvs-Mar-18.tar.bz2
> > cp sound15.diff freeciv/
> > cp stdsounds.tar.gz freeciv/
> > cd freeciv
> > tar zxvf stdsounds.tar.gz
> > patch < sound15.diff -p1
> > cd ..
> > cp aclocal.m4 freeciv/
> > cd freeciv
> >
> > autoheader; aclocal; automake; autoconf;
> >
> > Succeeded well. No problems yet.
> >
> > ./configure
> >
> > checking for ngettext in -lc... yes
> > checking whether libc's ngettext works at runtime... yes
> > checking for GNU xgettext version >= 0.10.38... no
> > configure: warning: You may have problems with creating pox files. Please
> > update your gettext package.
> > checking for GNU msgfmt version >= 0.10.35... no
> > configure: error: You are unable to create *.gmo files.
> > This is development version which doesn't include them. Please update your
> > gettext package. We recommend you versions >= 0.10.38. Or use
> > --disable-nls instead.
>
> What is the output of
>   msgfmt --version
> ?
>
> > I still get this obscure mesage about msgfmt, and my version of gnu gettext
> is 0.10.40, yet the configure script claims it is < 0.10.38. I'd love to know
> how to check version number of msgfmt, rpm -q msgfmt does not do it.

I did not have gettext-devel installed. The error message needs to be improved.
I had no idea what package msgfmt was hiding in.

You still have not properly fixed the script for detecting gettext. It still
does not work on Mandrake 8.0.

> > After running ./configure --disable-nls
> >
> > Sound patch problems
> >
> > checking for esd-config... /usr/bin/esd-config
> > checking for ESD - version >= 0.0.20... no
> > *** Could not run ESD test program, checking why...
> > *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for
> the
> > *** exact error that occured. This usually means ESD was incorrectly
> installed
> > *** or that you have moved ESD since it was installed. In the latter case,
> you
> > *** may want to edit the esd-config script: /usr/bin/esd-config
>
> Per?
>
> > 2: audio_play_sound('m_archers', 'm_generic')
> > 2: last message repeated 2 times
> > 2: audio_play_sound('m_settlers', 'm_generic')
> > 2: last message repeated 2 times
>
> This is ok.

Hmm??

> > Odd enough, I see error reminiscent of the CMA about messages being
> > repeated two times. A problem with syncronising to the server Per?
>
> I don't understand.

The old CMA also used to generated messages like

last message repeated 2 times

before you fixed it. I can't remember what the fix was, it was something to do
with synchronising the start and end of turns between client/server. I know I'm
being vague, I can't remember the exact details. I think you fixed it by adding
packets start of turn and end of turn. I was wondering if Per needed to
duplicate your fix.