Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch 3: ai passive diplomacy + alliances fixes (PR#12

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch 3: ai passive diplomacy + alliances fixes (PR#1277)
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:21:47 -0800 (PST)

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Major changes:
>  -> AI now looks at nearby allied units as potential reinforcements
>  -> Allied players protect each other using SDI

I 'm curious about that. I thought SDI was city specific. Exactly how does
SDI in city 1 stop an attack on city 2?

>  -> Allied players see each others' missiles and subs
>  -> Autosettlers now happily ignore allied units
>  -> Allied cities are regarded as safe havens for GOTO
>
> Major questions:
>  -> Should allied units in your cities help enforce martial law?

No, I wouldn't like that.

>  -> Should it be possible to teleport or airlift to allied cities?

Makes sense.

>  -> Should it be possible for allied caravans to help build wonders?

Of course. Otherwise people will send in units to the allied city, change
ownership and disband to help build a wonder.

<snip>

> ./ai/aiunit.c:1283:         (acity && acity->owner == punit->owner &&
> acity->ai.urgency &&
>
> This part of the code works by magic, as far as i am concerned.
> (unit->ai.charge is both city and unit id??) I do not believe it needs
> change to work with peace/alliance.

Yes it does. I demand to know how unit->ai.charge can be both city and unit id.

> ./ai/aiunit.c:516:  if (pcity->owner != punit->owner) return FALSE;
>
> Correct. We don't want to stay to defend allied cities. Not our problem!
>
> ./ai/aiunit.c:647:      if (aunit == punit || aunit->owner != punit->owner)
> continue;
>
> Changed. AI now looks to allied players' units nearby as
> possible reinforcements during attacks.

So the units that are not going to stay to defend allied cities are going to be
looked on as possible reinforcements. Interesting approach.