Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nation selection dialog patch

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nation selection dialog patch
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 01:56:38 +0000 (WET)

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 05:13:31AM +0000, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I made a patch to change the nation selection dialog to match the design
> > of the Java nation selection dialog.
> >
> > You can find a screenshot at:
> > <http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~vasc/nation.png>
>
> $ wget http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~vasc/nation.png
> --10:43:46--  http://mega.ist.utl.pt:80/%7Evasc/nation.png
>            => `nation.png'
> Connecting to mega.ist.utl.pt:80...
> Connection to mega.ist.utl.pt:80 refused.

Please try again. httpd was down at the time.

> IMHO it is a step back in usability because you need to scroll. What
> about a notebook view?

A notebook view is worse IMHO. The sheer amount of nations that exist now
make a notebook clumsy and if someone decides to add 100 nations more it
won't scale well. It is fine to put all options on the screen at once when
the number of options is limited, but otherwise it just adds to confusion.
BTW, the new dialog is also much smaller. Which is a plus IMO.

---