Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nation selection dialog patch

To: Raimar Falke <rfalke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nation selection dialog patch
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 09:54:59 -0600

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 10:47:11AM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 05:13:31AM +0000, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I made a patch to change the nation selection dialog to match the design
> > of the Java nation selection dialog.
> >
> > You can find a screenshot at:
> > <http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~vasc/nation.png>
>
> $ wget http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~vasc/nation.png
> --10:43:46--  http://mega.ist.utl.pt:80/%7Evasc/nation.png
>            => `nation.png'
> Connecting to mega.ist.utl.pt:80...
> Connection to mega.ist.utl.pt:80 refused.
>
> IMHO it is a step back in usability because you need to scroll. What
> about a notebook view?

I'm not as concerned about scrolling, because the notebook presents it's
own problems especially if you have lots o' nations. I would like to see
three or four columns however (so you have less scrolling).

And if you do this perhaps put the nation name under the flag. It will
save space widthwise. (but maybe reduce readibility, check it).

I really like the flags BTW, I often pick nations based solely on the
coolness of their flag.

-mike