Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nation selection dialog patch

To: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nation selection dialog patch
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:10:24 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 05:13:31AM +0000, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa
> > wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I made a patch to change the nation selection dialog to match the design
> > > of the Java nation selection dialog.
> > >
> > > You can find a screenshot at:
> > > <http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~vasc/nation.png>
> >
> > $ wget http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~vasc/nation.png
> > --10:43:46--  http://mega.ist.utl.pt:80/%7Evasc/nation.png
> >            => `nation.png'
> > Connecting to mega.ist.utl.pt:80...
> > Connection to mega.ist.utl.pt:80 refused.
>
> Please try again. httpd was down at the time.
>
> > IMHO it is a step back in usability because you need to scroll. What
> > about a notebook view?
>
> A notebook view is worse IMHO. The sheer amount of nations that exist now
> make a notebook clumsy and if someone decides to add 100 nations more it
> won't scale well. It is fine to put all options on the screen at once when
> the number of options is limited, but otherwise it just adds to confusion.
> BTW, the new dialog is also much smaller. Which is a plus IMO.

How about something multicolumn which just showed flags?  Put the nation
name in a balloon window if the mouse hovers over it.  The present list of
nations would take up about 1.75 times the space the scrollbared select
window would, and it could expand up to quite a lot (admittedly not
infinite).

This would make comparison very easy for people who choose by cool flags,
and people who want a specific nation will no doubt recognize the relevant
flag easily.

--Daniel Speyer
If you *don't* consider sharing information to be morally equivalent to
kidnapping and murder on the high seas, you probably shouldn't use the
phrase "software piracy."