[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Coding Style Guidelines

To: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Richards <chrisr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Coding Style Guidelines
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:02:32 -0600

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 03:00:55AM -0500, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> Personally, I'm not a great fan of the K&R tabs&spaces where the tabs
> are not the indent size. Most non-Unix editors can't really handle it
> and the result is either non-compliance or people waste a lot of time
> doing petty manual fixups.

        Yes, mixing tabs and spaces to get to proper indent levels is
annoying and dumb.

> If you are starting from scratch, all spaces is easiest to go with,
> and with indent at 2 is a no-brainer. But the current codebase is
> primarily tabbed 8, with a lot of minor and some major non-compliance.
> This means generally it isn't worth doing, but there are probably
> enough holes to get a foot in the door to start opening it.

        I am firmly of the opinion that tabs are the only good way to do
indentation.  Setting the tab stops at 8 was a dumb decision made decades
ago (5 or 6 would have been the proper values for historical accuracy).  I
personally have vi set up to use ts=4.

        If everyone else really hates tabs, or hates the intermixing, then
go to all spaces and I'll just be sad.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."