[Freeciv-Dev] Re: advdomestic.c cleanup II. (PR#1157)

To: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: advdomestic.c cleanup II. (PR#1157)
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 20:57:49 +0100

Dear diary, on Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 08:15:19PM CET, I got a letter, where "Ross
W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
> At 06:39 PM 01/12/31 +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:
> >Dear diary, on Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 07:49:49PM CET, I got a letter, where
> >"Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
> [...]
> >> +  build_points_left(acity) > get_unit_type(unit_type)->build_cost *
> >> caravans) {
> >>
> >> *** Another line wrap.
> >Ok. Funny that people told me that I shouldn't do those changes I indent
> >will care about them ;-).
>
> Indent is not the saviour of the world, but only a useful starting point.
> Once there is a basic pattern to the code, humans are infinitely more capable
> of refining the pattern to highlight useful concepts.
>
> I keep telling Raimar that blind application of indent to every patch just
> before it goes in breaks code in many idiotic ways and removes useful added
> value of the human touch.
>
> Indent should be applied by a submitter, the code cleaned up to remove the
> worst abuse of indent and to make sure it didn't actually change something
> significant. Then changes can be applied consistent with the new (local)
> coding standard of the code to be fixed. Patchew should then be applied
> without additional (and certainly not mechanical) modification.
This is basically my standpoint as well. Just in many projects the maintainer
has the last word whether I like it or not and I must make yourself comfortable
with his opinion (and it's good as one opinion is still bettern than mix of
dozen different opinions ;).

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC, FreeCiv, (e)links
.
Firewall in a way is like the doorkeeper of a local pub. If you don't have your
I.D. on you, or if for some reason you do not qualify to enter, the doorkeeper
will not permit you to enter. In some extreme cases these doorkeepers will not
let you out, or at least give you a hard time before they finally let you out.
.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/