[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More imporved game starting [patch]

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More imporved game starting [patch]
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 18:40:43 -0500 (EST)

My apologies if you're getting this twice -- I think the first time got
caught in a file-size filter.

I've uploaded another version of the patch to
ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/conndlg3.patch (written before most
of the recent conversation -- I would have posted it earlier but my
network connection is intermittant).  I've removed the seperate server
window and instead given cmdlevel hack to the player who spawns the
server, plus I added Start, Save, End, and Score buttons to the message
window.  I've also set it up to offer a list of players on loading a game.

In writing that last one, I did parse server output from the pipe, and it
was extremely troublesome.  There's a reason they say not to use C for
text-parsing.  If we're going to expand this to graphically setting
variables, we *really* need to develop a more machine-readable syntax
(possibly textual, but simpler in any case).

--Daniel Speyer
"May the /src be with you, always"