[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More imporved game starting [patch]

To: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More imporved game starting [patch]
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 21:43:22 +0100

Dear diary, on Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 08:17:31PM CET, I got a letter, where
Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
> Ok, lets have a list of server commands in common code (not in gui-gtk) and
> let the client display a button for each (important) command (implemented
> like the local options dialog).
I would like to have some menu divided to submenus by categories of commands
:).

> We could also parse the output of the show command and use it to create a
> server options dialog.
I definitively don't like this. Why the hell we can't send commands and receive
notifies in binary form? Yes, it would be possible even when preserving
backward compatibility, I believe (obviously NOT with text communication ;).
Just add new codes only to the end of list and send sizeof(packet) in header of
each packet. And I believe we will still save bandwidth. And we won't have to
bother with server-side translations of chat messages.

This way we will either stay with commandline interface or do some very nasty
parsing breaking periodically. When talking binary, we can even emulate the
old interface.

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC, FreeCiv, (e)links
.
Firewall in a way is like the doorkeeper of a local pub. If you don't have your
I.D. on you, or if for some reason you do not qualify to enter, the doorkeeper
will not permit you to enter. In some extreme cases these doorkeepers will not
let you out, or at least give you a hard time before they finally let you out.
.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/