[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More imporved game starting [patch]

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More imporved game starting [patch]
From: Jason Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 14:50:52 -0500

Daniel L Speyer wrote:

Here is an improved version of Andreas's patch from back in October to
control the server from the client.  This version supports multiple
simultaneous games by checking which ports are available.

I never tried it out before, but now that I do it seems quite excellent. Even something this simple could probably double freeciv's userbase.

I'm thinking about illiminating the seperate server window, and making the
chatline take that functionality (just give the starting user cmdlevel
hack).  What do other people think?

At first, I thought that would be a good idea - but then I noticed the "start game" and "end game" buttons on the server window. If this is expanded to include fuller (possibly even "full") control through the GUI, that'd be much better.

BTW: what does "end game" do? It seems to just immediately terminate the server. This is not very user-friendly.

Here's another idea: when you load a game, it should first load the game to the server and then popup a list of choices for the player name. This would be far superior IMO. Unfortunately, this might be very hard to implement.

A word of advice: submit it to the bug tracking system. I'll try to give it a more full review when I have a chance, although I'm not very familiar with this code.

jason