[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cvs compiling problem (PR#1128)

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cvs compiling problem (PR#1128)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:13:23 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Ben Webb wrote:
>       msgfmt is needed to build the .gmo files from .po files; gettext
> in intl/ uses these .gmo files to localize the code. So, on systems
> _without_ gettext, you need to provide the gettext code in intl/ and the
> .gmo files. This is fine for a "stable" distribution, which should include
> the .gmo files (try a "make distclean" in po/ - it doesn't delete the
> .gmo files) but awkward for CVS, since the .gmo files aren't text. So the
> solution is to not include the .gmo files in CVS, and require the user to
> have the msgfmt tool if they want to play with dodgy unstable code.

Ah, of course. The best solution is to compile and include the .gmo files
in the stable source releases. I suppose make would not create an error
then, but I am not sure. However, there should still be a clear test in
configure for this, for those who get source from cvs or cvs snapshots.

Yours,
Per

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."
 -- Albert Einstein