[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cvs compiling problem (PR#1128)

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cvs compiling problem (PR#1128)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 21:24:29 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > But there is a --with-included-gettext option that is supposed to allow NLS
> > even if you do not have it on the system.

> > > I just used the instructions I found for upgrading when I upgraded to
> > > 0.10.38. I don't know why it wasn't included then.
> > > \end{quote}
> > > Can you add it?
> >
> > Are you asking Per?
>
> Yes.

There are two solutions to this problem:
 1. Fixing the gettext macro so that it tells the user to install gettext
    OR run configure with the --disable-nls parameter, not just notice
    that necessary tools are absent and go on (as now)
 2. Add the tools the need from the gettext package to freeciv.

I think the latter is a BAD idea and I am not going to do it, mostly
because I do not have any idea what is really needed, and the full gettext
package is at 1.3mb, compressed. (And no, msgfmt is not in the intl/
directory in the official 0.10.40 version either, it is compiled as
standalone tool with its own po-files and all.)

For most users who got this problem, fixing it is as simple as doing the
equivalent of "apt-get install gettext", _if_ you know what the problem
is. Or just "--disable-nls".

I can fix the gettext macro if you agree this is the correct thing to do.

Yours,
Per

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."
 -- Albert Einstein