[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cvs compiling problem (PR#1128)

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cvs compiling problem (PR#1128)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 23:03:35 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Jason Short wrote:
> Sounds like the .gmo's are already included in the stable release, or
> any tarball for that matter.  Try "make dist" to see.

You are right. I tried removing gettext and compiling the stable release,
and that worked alright. But the gmo files are not present in the cvs
snapshots.

> Checking for msgfmt will be tricky, since the check should only occur if
> we're compiling from CVS.  That is, we must either have the .gmo's
> (up-to-date) _or_ have msgfmt.  In a different project this might go in
> an autogen.sh file, but freeciv does not use such a system.

The same objection struck me as I hit the 'send' button of my previous
mail... I am _all_ for using autogen.sh, since this will also allow us to
put all those nasty m4 macros as separate files into an m4/ directory, and
autogenerate 'acinclude'. (autogen.sh can run 'cat m4/*.m4 > acinclude'
to do that.)

The simplest solution is of course a huge "READ THIS FIRST" sign on the
web page before the cvs snapshot download and the cvs instructions, but
that's a hack :)

Yours,
Per

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."
 -- Albert Einstein