[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation,Usability an

To: Petrus Viljoen <viljoenp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation,Usability and Development]
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 10:17:48 +0100

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 11:01:54AM +0200, Petrus Viljoen wrote:

> > > Multi threading or will the interpreter provide this feature?
> >

> Don't think the current scripting engines support time-outs etc..
> You will most likely end up with depleted memory or a thrashing garbage
> collector.

Well at least the lpmud engine had such an feature. CPU time was
limited as well as array size.

> Why do you want to make the rulesets & units extensible via scripts.
> 1. You are asking for someone to hack/cheat

> 2. If you have a script to configure a unit you can just as well
> have C code in the server to configure the unit (This will be safer
> and better controlled)

Ack.

> 3. I for one am not going to check all the Scripts before I start a
> Game.

This would be the conclusion. I see a server command which prints the
md5 of the whole ruleset used ;)

> Data driven configuration is
> 1. Safer
> 2. Easier to manage.

Ack.

> IMHO the only place scripts make sense is personalized customization
> of clients (agents, unit, city behavior/management).

Ack everything at the client side is uncritical in this respect.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "The BeOS takes the best features from the major operating systems.