[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability a

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gregor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies [Was Documentation, Usability and Development]
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 15:39:34 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 03:13:39PM -0500, Daniel L Speyer wrote:

> > > Ack. And not hackable.
> >
> > That's part of the point: freeciv should be hackable.
> >
> > Remeber the amount of anger when the Aibo's manufacturer tried to stop
> > people from hacking that?  Why should freeciv take the same
> > philosophy?  The best hacks can become part of the mainstream game and
> > inspire new developements.  Hacking is a *good thing*.
> >
> > If you're worried about abuses, I really don't think it's that big a
> > deal.  There's nothing to stop multiple logons presently, but I haven't
> > seen anybody doing it.  I think most players know that if someone who
> > T4L1<Z Li1<3 Th1Z wants to use a long, obfuscated ruleset, they should be
> > suspicious.
>
> I agree that there may be not hard border. Think about the fact the
> people name all there cities "2". Is this a cheat, a hack or just some
> annoying behavior.

The point is that most players *don't* name all their cities "2", and that
no one is proposing that city names be controled entirely by the server
as a responce to those who do.  In my experience, most people who would
use abusive rulesets would usually cl34rly 1d3nt1fy themselves in pre-game
chat (and, of course, any player can view the ruleset at any time).  Most
players are generally decent people, and there's a lot of potential gain
here.

--Daniel Speyer
"May the /src be with you, always"