[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 14:12:36 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Daniel L Speyer wrote:
> ... (snip snip snip) ...
> > That's not so easy.  Ignoring AI, here is my lisp code for a healer
>
> This is very good for making rulesets better and the server simpler. There
> are only two problems:
>  1. The code gets slower, since it has to be interpreted
>  2. AI doesn't know what to do
>
> The first depends largely on choice of solution (language+compiler). I
> simply don't know how well the different compilers do when embedded,
> except tcl works pretty ok. The second can be solved by adding procedural
> AI hooks for units/buildings/governments with abnormal behaviour.
>
> So the Healer would also have a procedure OverrideAIControl, which, if
> present, would be run instead of normal AI code for this unit. Then it
> could have flags to determine how it would fit into the general AI
> build/deployment strategy.

AI is difficult, and I'm not sure how to solve it.  IIRC, units presently
tell the AI a little about what they're good at (e.g. defense), and maybe
we could expand this.  Alternatively (or additionally) the AI could give
the units higher level orders (blockade, bodyguard, assault) and
configuration scripts could interpret them.

Ultimately, I don't know enough about the AI's design to propose detailed
solutions, though I suppose the AI was planned for a restructuring in any
case...

--Daniel Speyer
"May the /src be with you, always"