[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion for smaller dialogs

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion for smaller dialogs
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 20:48:21 +0200

Christian Knoke writes:
 > Am Sonntag, 30. September 2001 16:23 schrieb Karl-Ingo Friese:
 > > Hello there,
 > >
 > > as already stated by others before, some dialogs take enourmous space
 > > on the screen; especialy in some localized versions. Two ideas to
 > > solve this:
 > >
 > > As I just tried out, a simple '\n' between two words make the button
 > > display the text in two lines. This might especialy useful for the
 > > localized versions of the player report, for example the german
 > > one. This works if I changed the hardcoded default text, I dont know
 > > about the NLS stuff. Could the translators try this out ?
 >
 > Yes, this works also for the translation, I've tried it before.
 > And yes, it might be a solution for the problem, if nothing else
 > helps. It's possible but it doesn't look very nice.
That's a bit dangerous. There are gui functions which cannot handle
'\n'. I cannot provide a complete list of them. So you can only safely
insert '\n' into translations where the original text also contains
'\n', if you want to separate translation and programming

(the translators don't have to understand the program code and the
programmers don't have to look at the translations because there are
almost no fixed-sized areas for text).

What happens if the same string appears in a widget and a window title
(and you insert newlines)?

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade