[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion for smaller dialogs

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Übersetzer <freeciv.de@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion for smaller dialogs
From: Karl-Ingo Friese <kif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 19:13:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Christian Knoke wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 30. September 2001 18:47 schrieb Karl-Ingo Friese:

> > > Yes, this works also for the translation, I've tried it before.
> > > And yes, it might be a solution for the problem, if nothing else
> > > helps. It's possible but it doesn't look very nice.
> >
> > I agree. But a button called "Kartentausch zurückziehen" (to mention
> > a famous example again) will always look ugly. Even if all other
>
> Well, thats a matter of the translators, who have to take more things
> into account than "looks ugly"

Yes - but still I can not agree here. It is impossible for the programers
to design a button which would look good in all languages. He can help
with technical things (sich as extra lengthy text is not drawn over
the border which happens often by commercial software) but he can not
make it look "nice". IMHO thats part of the translators job - to make a
text understandable without destroying the look. Either by finding
a shorter translation or making the button two-rowed.

I will look into the different sized button problem now ...
And no - I have no idea how to switch between multiple button
depending on the language rows without changing the code yet.

Ingo

--

Karl-Ingo Friese
kif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx