[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion for smaller dialogs

To: Karl-Ingo Friese <kif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Übersetzer <freeciv.de@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion for smaller dialogs
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 19:06:22 +0200

Am Sonntag, 30. September 2001 18:47 schrieb Karl-Ingo Friese:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 30. September 2001 16:23 schrieb Karl-Ingo Friese:
> > > Hello there,
> > >
> > > as already stated by others before, some dialogs take enourmous
> > > space on the screen; especialy in some localized versions. Two
> > > ideas to solve this:
> > >
> > > As I just tried out, a simple '\n' between two words make the
> > > button display the text in two lines. This might especialy useful
> > > for the localized versions of the player report, for example the
> > > german one. This works if I changed the hardcoded default text, I
> > > dont know about the NLS stuff. Could the translators try this out
> > > ?
> >
> > Yes, this works also for the translation, I've tried it before.
> > And yes, it might be a solution for the problem, if nothing else
> > helps. It's possible but it doesn't look very nice.
>
> I agree. But a button called "Kartentausch zurückziehen" (to mention
> a famous example again) will always look ugly. Even if all other

Well, thats a matter of the translators, who have to take more things
into account than "looks ugly"

> buttons are drawed smaller. I think the two rowed text would even
> enhance the look in this case ...

The real problem is the size of the dialogs (i.e. many buttons in a row
+ oversized buttons).

Suggestions on this one?

> > > The city report has to many buttons, meaining, it is wider than
> > > it needs to be. One could either
> > >
> > > o split them into two rows or
> >
> > maybe
> >
> > > o for the begining, get rid of the "popup" button since this
> > >   more easily done by a double click on the row containing the
> > >   city (which already works).
> >
> > Not so good, Al. Can't we solve the real problem, that is make
> > every button use only as much as space as needed for the text?
> > Maybe, if you put each button into a seperate frame/box?
>
> Its indeed not so good for I just found out that the "popup"
> button works with multiple selection as well. Forget that
> idea ;)
>
> Ingo

Christian

--
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *