[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Twitch-guard

To: Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Twitch-guard
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:57:08 +0200

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 12:46:06AM -0700, Asher Densmore-Lynn wrote:
> It's mighty hard for a script, player, or AI to suddenly just DEAL with
> someone with a high movement rate, who appears out of nowhere.
>
> Would it be unreasonable to propose a "movetimeout" such that a unit within
> or entering an area controlled by a hostile player [this calculation
> handwaved until further discussion] may only expend one MP until
> movetimeout seconds pass?
>
> In this fashion, the player is suddenly made aware of an -enemy-, and given
> the possibility to intercept if feasible or move to threaten, elsewise. Set
> to half the turn, and for the first half of that turn, you're free to
> attend to management details without nasty surprises cropping up. Set to
> zero, and it doesn't apply.
>
> A unit that the enemy player couldn't reach is just as safe as otherwise; a
> unit that is NOT is vulnerable to ambush or jihad.
>
> I'm not sure if this would be useful or not, but it seems like it'd be
> helpful to client-based agents.

So you propose a minimal time between steps?! From the point of view
of the player/agent who sees a unit moving it is ok. However from the
point of view of the player/agent which does the move it
isn't. Imaging that you can't move your settler down the road with 3
key presses which but have to wait for some seconds between each. The
same applied for agents. Agents may perform them in parallel but you
have other problems with synchronization.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot."