[Freeciv-Dev] Twitch-guard

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Twitch-guard
From: Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 00:46:06 -0700

It's mighty hard for a script, player, or AI to suddenly just DEAL with
someone with a high movement rate, who appears out of nowhere.

Would it be unreasonable to propose a "movetimeout" such that a unit within
or entering an area controlled by a hostile player [this calculation
handwaved until further discussion] may only expend one MP until
movetimeout seconds pass?

In this fashion, the player is suddenly made aware of an -enemy-, and given
the possibility to intercept if feasible or move to threaten, elsewise. Set
to half the turn, and for the first half of that turn, you're free to
attend to management details without nasty surprises cropping up. Set to
zero, and it doesn't apply.

A unit that the enemy player couldn't reach is just as safe as otherwise; a
unit that is NOT is vulnerable to ambush or jihad.

I'm not sure if this would be useful or not, but it seems like it'd be
helpful to client-based agents.

Or would it just force people t always attack at the end of a turn?

Would -that- be bad?

Hmm. I don't know if this is a good idea or not.
--
Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxx>