[Freeciv-Dev] Re: multiplayer mode is all that counts

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: multiplayer mode is all that counts
From: ccrayne@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 18:35:38 -0700

In <3.0.6.32.20010921000316.007ae6e0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 09/21/01
   at 12:03 AM, "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

:There is no reason why an AI cannot be built on top of essentially the
:same commands/protocol a human currently uses.

Yes, and I am one of those who have done so. That is, I have running code
which logs into the server; selects a nation and leader name; uses its
first settler to builds its first city, including selecting what to build
and what to research; sends its second settler (if any) to look for the
next city site; and uses its explorer to map its environment. Of course,
there is still a lot to be done, but what is left is the AI itself. The
client/server dialogs are working just fine.

:Another way to think of this is developing an API or commandline style
:(CLI) thin client layer with some data organizing/caching on top of the
:protocol stream.

This already exists, and is the method by which multiple gui
implementations are supported. I had to make a couple of tweaks to the
client code, but mostly, I just wrote a "text mode gui", based on
gui-stub.

-- Chuck Crayne
ccrayne@xxxxxxxxxx