[Freeciv-Dev] Re: multiplayer mode is all that counts

To: Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: multiplayer mode is all that counts
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:09:58 +0200

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 01:11:42PM -0700, Asher Densmore-Lynn wrote:
> At 08:41 PM 9/13/01 +0200, Raimar wrote:
>
> >> Scripting is fine for some tasks but 'ordinary' people don't enjoy it
> >> much.
> >
> >> Besides we don't want to turn freeciv into Corewars do we? :-)
> >
> >It is an interesting option.
>
> THIS is something I'd -happily- contribute to.
>
> I really, really want client-side scripting, but I don't have the mad
> skills to code it. And when I looked at the AI code, I curled up into a
> little ball and sobbed. But the scripts, them I could write.
>
> But if you shipped FreeCiv with a default set of ministerial scripts
> ("Combat Minister: Replace lost units in the city flagged as "owned" by CM;
> units not on Sentry will attack if they think they can win; opponent
> movement in my units line of sight will be sent to console")

> ("City Minister: Adjust city populations to avoid rebellions, warn
> if it'd be more efficient to change global luxury instead")

Something like this has been programmed and waits for last polish. I
called them agents and not ministers. I hope to submit it less than a
week. You may also look at an old version
<ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/schedueled_for_removal/sma4.diff.gz>.

> ("Research Minister: Doing a quick test for each technology ('lots
> of defeated units? let's go for Ironworking'), suggest the next best
> tech to acquire")... and you left 'em turned on by default, but with
> an easy way to turn 'em off permanently...  FreeCiv could be a lot
> more fun.
>
> People could write up more elaborate scripts later... but the FreeCiv core
> would ship with a deliberately understated set.

There was a long discussion how to implement scripting. After several
long threads about this my current plan is to lay the base with agents
(which are implemented in C) and think about scripting latter.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "The very concept of PNP is a lovely dream that simply does not translate to