[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New city dialog - worklist

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New city dialog - worklist
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:15:38 +0200

On 2001-08-30 18:23:53, Christian Knoke wrote:
> In the worklist area, there should be an append button.
> It is not obviously, that insert works different, when
> no entry is marked.

Actually, I'd like an interface without any buttons at all...
It can be a _lot_ better IMHO... A help button explaining how to handle
things and making it intuitive is clear enough I think...
(I'd like to make it work like the worklist in Master of Orion II)

> Am Donnerstag, 30. August 2001 12:30 schrieben Sie:
> > On 2001-08-30 09:50:04, Daniel Sjölie wrote:
> >
> > Patch:
> > http://www.acc.umu.se/~deepone/freeciv/new_city_dialog3.diff.gz
> >
> > Comments still very welcome...
>
> About the worklist:
>
> The number of turns needed to build an item is not correct.
>
> Seems the actual pruktion stock is computed into it, which is
> correct for the first thing to build, but not for the following.
>
> I, personally, am for removing the turns columns at all, for
> following reasons:
>
> 1. the production of a city is due to change at any time.
>
> 2. Thats why the turn number is not usefull, besides its buggy
>
> 3. It makes the display crowded, not clear.
>
> 4. At least in some locales, there is not enough space to display
>    all columns, making appear one or two horizontal scrollbars,
>    which *is* ugly.

If the buttons are removed there is more room...
Not sure how I feel about removing Turns all together though...
I'd like to try to have less info in Current worklist than in Available
items - You don't really need to know that much about the things You
have allready decided to build - but I do think number of turns is good
to have when deciding what to build... Not sure if they should take the
producttion stock into account though... I'm guessing not counting it
would be better...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)